Italian Sausage in Red Wine Appetizer
This recipe is inspired by a classic Spanish tapas dish known as Chorizo al Vino Tinto. We substituted mild Italian sausage for the chorizo, but feel free to spice this dish up as desired. Traditionally, it would be served with crunchy bread, but you can also pour it over pasta and top with parmesan cheese to make it an entrée.
1 lb mild Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces (note they will be a little crumbly)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 cup Cherrycream Dark Cabernet Sauvignon
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high for 3 minutes.
- Add sausage slices and cook, stirring gently for 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Add olive oil and garlic, stirring gently, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add wine and bay leaf.
- Gently stir and cook for 20-25 minutes until the liquid reduces by half and thickens slightly.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with toasted fresh bread.